Room's Annual CNF, and Poetry & Fiction Contests
In 2015, Room will have two annual contests starting with our Creative Non-Fiction Contest open from October 15, 2015 to March 8, 2015 (International Women's Day). Our Poetry and Fiction Contest will run from April 15, 2015 to July 15, 2015.
Winners of our 2014 Annual Contest—judged by Saleema Nawaz (Fiction), Sonnet L'Abbé (Poetry), and Sarah de Leeuw (Creative Non-Fiction)—will be announced in October.
If you want to get started on writing your entries for our upcoming contests, here are our current rules. (Note these are subject to change, so please check back when the contests are open.)
- For fiction and creative non-fiction, one submission includes one short story or essay of up to 3,500 words.
- For poetry, one submission includes up to three poems or 150 lines of poetry.
- We would prefer if you double spaced your prose. If submitting multiple poems, please begin your second and all subsequent poems on a new page.
- Each entry must be original, unpublished, not submitted or accepted elsewhere for publication, and not entered simultaneously in any other contest or competition.
- Previously commissioned Room writers or Room Contest judges are disqualified from entering the contest.
- Judging will be blind. Please ensure your name and contact information are not written on your piece.